Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hello, Love of My Life

Love of my life = Guatemala.

Goodness, I don't even know where to start. I have a thousand thoughts racing around in my mind constantly that I can never seem to put into words to share with people.

I'm sitting next to Becky in our office at The Oasis, eating trail mix, and for some reason trying not to cry. I've been crying a lot lately - and half the time I'm not even sad.

I think it's the renewing of passion. I am coming to realize how much passion for Jesus I've lost since YWAM.

And now, here I am; in this foreign country, with nothing left to hold onto EXCEPT for HIM. For the first time in my life, I am the minority. And, to be honest, that scares me a lot. I'm the strange American girl that can't understand half the stuff everyone says to me. I know I couldn't do this without God on my side. I just have to keep reminding myself that our God is SOOOO much bigger than a language barrier or cultural differences.

Becky and I pray together every night before bed. It's so comforting because it reminds me so much of my times with Amanda, Kristy, and Mark during DTS. We pray about the girls here, about our ministry, and anything we have on our hearts. And, of course, every night I cry. Imagine that. I am so grateful to God for bringing me here. But, I am so upset with myself that He had to take me out of my comfort zone and strip me of everything I'm used to, to get my attention.

When I first arrived in Guatemala, and especially before I left Oasis, I was dreading moving to The Oasis. I was going, "What am I doing? I don't even like kids all that much." haha. But God has changed my heart, rejuvenated me, and given me strength.

I. AM. SO. HAPPY. HERE.

The girls are beyond amazing. I got assigned to the Blue House and was blessed to spend my days with seven of the most wonderful little girls you could ever imagine. Tonya (2), Wendy (4), Melanie (6), Jaqueline (8), Maria (9), Doris (11), and Viki (14). Everytime I walk into the house they'll swamp me, wanting hugs and kisses. I'm sure this will all wear off after I'm here for awhile, but none the less, I love it. Wendy is just the cutest little four year old in the worldddd. All she ever wants to do is sit in my lap, kiss my cheek as long and hard as she can, and give me big hugs! Everytime I'm playing with the girls and eating meals with them, I just thank God for this culture and the people of Guatemala.

Speaking of - I think Oscar deserves a spot in this blog. Oscar is a good friend of the family from Guatemala City. And I think I owe a lot of this whole "new regaining of passion" from him. Oscar lives what he preaches. He is a man that shines like Jesus in ways I've never seen before. Often when I get frustrated, tired, lazy, etc., I just think, "What would Oscar do?" Oscar would put himself aside and love on everyone around him. He has this way of making each and every person in the room feel like the most important person alive. He's my hero.

Oscar and I celebrating mine and Cory's birthdays last weekend!
Unfortunetly this picture portrays us perfectly, haha.

My spanish is coming along as well as can be expected, I guess. Being here has made it all the more clear to me at just how much a month of language school helped set a good foundation for me. And I'll continue to study while I'm here.

Becky and I are starting English classes next week for the "Tias" and any teacher or staff member here that would like to attend. They all want to learn english so badly and since Becky and I will be here for five and six months, what a fantastic opportunity to get them started! I am so, so, so excited to start these classes!!

I find it impossible to write good blogs. I apologize to you all - just know that God is doing amazing things in this small compound way up high in the mountain in San Lucas, Guatemala. And I intend to live that out for as long as I live.

I promise I'll update soon with more touching, sensible, informative updates. :)

All my love,
Kimberly

2 comments:

Becky Soyster said...

You write lovely blogs. I know I'm here living with you, but it's still neat to see how you write about it. You're wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are perfect--soft with His love, just like your heart.
Love, Terri Waters