Monday, November 3, 2008

Rock My World

God is sooooo in control.

My roommates and I went to a HUGE kite festival in Santiago yesterday and on the drive home, I couldn’t stop thanking God for his provision. I feel SO blessed to be here – and His timing is PERFECT (imagine that).

These last three weeks have changed me in ways I could never explain. God has been giving me so much peace and joy – and He is changing me from the inside out. I truly feel like a different person than when I got here three weeks ago. My outlook on this six month trip is so different, in a much more positive way.


I really am so happy in Antigua. In the afternoons, I’ll usually walk for hours and every day I fall more and more in love with the people and culture of Latin America.

A few days ago, I was walking home and there was a huge crowd of local men standing on the sidewalks and spilling into the street. When I got closer I saw about 20-25 police officers running around with their massive guns, kicking doors in and evacuating the houses in the area, obviously searching for someone. I stood watching for about 3 minutes before remembering I wasn’t watching The Bourne Identity or something and that I should probably leave.

It turns out four armed men broke into a house and stole a lot of stuff and the police only captured one. So the other three men when running away ON THE ROOF TOPS. Well, yeah that kind of freaked me out a little bit. But that only lasted 3.5 seconds and then I was happy as a clam again.

One of the missionaries from YWAM living in Antigua right now was robbed at gunpoint by her tuc-tuc (spelling?) driver last week. I guess that's the reality of it down here. But spending your whole life being scared isn't going to help you in any way.

During my first week in Antigua, I was a little scared. And let’s be honest, there is a lot to be afraid of down here. Guatemala isn’t exactly the safest place in the world. Especially for a single white female. But God has filled me with so much peace since then. Even when all the strange men honk at me and yell things (solely because of the color of my skin), I feel so protected. And I can honestly say that even IF something happened to me, that’s okay, too. If I die, it’s because God’s ready for me in Heaven. If someone breaks into my house and steals everything I own, God will provide everything I need again.

There is something so peaceful about being right in God’s will for your life. Without a doubt in my mind, this is where I’m supposed to be.

On the flight down here a month ago, for the first time in my entire life, I was saying, “Okay, God, just give me a 9 to 5 job in Bellingham and a comfortable apartment with clean food, and I’ll be happy. Just don’t make me live here.” Making transitions into uncomfortable situations is never easy for anyone. But I take that all back now. “Okay, God, you can call me to live here, again.” (This is me pretending that God listens to the plans I make for my life.)

I’ve survived three weeks of Spanish school! I passed my test for Grado A (97.5%) so I moved up a level! I love my teacher, Lucy, and the school. As frustrating as it is sometimes, feeling like I’ll never get it, it has been a really rewarding experience and I know I’ve learned a lot since moving here.

My roommates here have been AMAZING and I could not thank God enough for bringing us all together like this. They have helped make my experience in Antigua so fantastic. We’ve been together for about two weeks now and strangely enough, we’re all leaving at the same time next weekend. The five of us have gotten along so well and one of my favorite parts of the day is sitting with the four of them for hours after dinner, talking and laughing.

Katy is from Iowa, and she’s incredible. She came to Guatemala after she was traveling and volunteering in Mexico when a flashflood wiped out nearly everything she brought with her. She’s a leader in so many ways. She’s strong, wise, and always thinking of others before herself. Myr is from Colorado and she is one of the most open minded and positive people I’ve ever met. Jenny is from Norway, and she definitely has the gift of bringing people together. She’s always got fantastic stories to tell and she is just a genuine, solid person. Kennet is from Denmark – we love Kennet because he’s forced to live with four girls and he’s still always smiling. Kennet has this way of laughing at everything you say like you’re the wittiest person in the world. He’s fantastic.

On el dia de los muertos, my roommates and I traveled about 45 minutes to Santiago to see the massive kites (barriletes) that we've heard so much about. What a beautiful holiday! The different brotherhoods spend 40 days working together to make these beautiful, massive works of art. And thousands of people come together to celebrate in the cemetary and to eat meals with their dead relatives.

A family eating in the cemetary

It has been such a blessing meeting and making friends with some locals, as well. I’ve gotten to know a few YWAMers down here which is beyond wonderful! I went to an evangelism seminar at YWAM last Saturday and it helped me regain so much of my motivation that I’ve lost since DTS.

One guy I’ve met down here has forever changed me. His name is Juan Luis and he has an incredible testimony. He used to be a devout Mormon when he found Christ. I’m not going to go into the whole story, but he was able to do a DTS last year, after God provided the funds even when it seemed impossible, and Juan Luis is now a man that just shines like Jesus Christ. He is so filled with love and compassion. I feel blessed to have met him.

Last week, God spoke to me clearly about a HUGE change that I needed to make in my life. We wrestled back and forth for awhile before it became clear to me that I was losing. After letting go of something that has become nearly everything to me, I prayed that God would fill me with peace about it. I told Him that I was acting out in obedience and though I wasn’t super pleased with Him about it; I expected His help to get me through it. And God has provided that and more in ways I could have never imagined. I still get sad when I think about it and once in awhile I’ll cry, but I have no doubt that God is in control. And though He loves me and wants the best for me, it won’t always be easy and I will be forced to give up some of my own ideas and dreams. Psalms 29:11 has taken on a whole new meaning in my life in the last few weeks

“The Lord gives his people strength.
The Lord blesses them with peace.”

Last weekend my Mom told me to read Psalm 86 – and since then, that has been the cry of my heart. I have found so much peace in God’s Word! There’s something about being thrown out of your comfort zone, that throws you into God’s arms.

So, I’m on my last week in Antigua, before joining Becky up at the Oasis! I’m getting more and more excited everyday to meet all the girls and to be with Becky again!

Prayer Requests:
*Please continue to pray for my health. I went to the Doctor two weeks ago and got some medicine – please pray that the medicine does the trick so that I don’t have to go back in for more tests and so I can feel better!
*Please pray for my transition from Antigua to The Oasis.

Praises:
*God’s amazing and unimaginable provision, peace, and joy!
*At YWAM Antigua’s Halloween service last Friday, about 8-9 people accepted Christ! Please pray for them as they begin a new relationship with our Lord!!


All My Love,
Kimberly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Thank you. Love,
Terri Watters